Maharana Fateh Singh Award - (Instituted in 1980-81)
Nobody embodied the significance of the sacred function of the Diwan - which is "whose duty it is to please", more movingly and profoundly than Maharana Fateh Singh (r. 1884-1930 CE). He is regarded by many as the last true Monarch in India by his people as not only head of all the Rajputs, but virtual leader of the Hindus. Maharana Fateh Singh's determination to resist British interference in the affairs of his people did not derive from mere stubbornness of character, still less from any love of power for its own sake, but from the inherited conviction that he must never allow the dignity of the House of Mewar to be impaired, and that such dignity was expressed by his inalienable responsibility towards his people.
His personal qualities were such as to inspire love and admiration in all who met him, and a historian will seek in vain for any disparaging remark among those recorded memories which have come down to us. Such, then was the proud sense of piety which Maharana Fateh Singh brought to his task - as a servant of Shree Eklingnath ji bound by duty and custom to serve his Will and administer on his behalf. Maharana Fateh Singh ji was the epitome of Rajput chivalry although he fought no battles and secured no treaties. His life demonstrated with utmost clarity the difference between the traditions of European royalty, based on acceptance of the right of Kings as superior persons, and those of the Rajputs, based on family ties between ruler and subject.
Extracts reproduced from: Maharana the story of the rulers of Udaipur by Brian Masters published by Mapin Publishing Pvt. Ltd., Ahmedabad.
After the demise of Maharana Sajjan Singh, Kanwar Fateh Singh from Shivrati sat on the throne of Mewar on 23rd December 1884 CE. He was born on Posh Shukla 2, Vikram Samvat 1906. After ascending the throne, he revolutionized the living standards of general people by modernizing administration and educational institutions.
In 1886 CE, five schools were opened in the district. Until 1891 CE, there were five schools in Udaipur supported by the State. In July 1894 CE, the school and dispensary committee, which was formed in 1884 CE, was abolished and its duties were taken over by the department of Mahakma Khas. During the ten years of its existence, the committee took considerable interest in its work and did much to encourage education. In 1901 CE five Schools including 1 Girls school and 36 district schools were supported by the State. In 1911 CE, there were three secondary schools and 41 primary district schools in Udaipur State. During the next decade little progress in education was made by the State except that in 1922 CE, the Maharana High School was made into an Intermediate college. It was located in the Nawlakha Mahal, in Gulab Bagh.
In 1890-1892, due to the spread of cholera, smallpox Maharana of Mewar established Emergency Relief Fund to provide necessary, development assistance and support to public. Even people from the neighbouring states took shelter in Mewar. Vaidhya-Hakims (a person who practices indigenous Medicare) were appointed in all areas of Mewar for medical facilities and basic health arrangements. Due to around 620 deaths recorded in Udaipur from cholera in 1896 and spread of famine, cholera and smallpox epidemics in 1899 the Mewar government adopted the process of ‘Isolation’. Medical arrangements were ensured by keeping infected patients away from the city and the sanitation system was started smoothly in Udaipur city. In July 1894 Sajjan Hospital, inside Hathi Pol was renamed as Lansdowne Hospital in recognition of Viceroy of India Lord Lansdowne. Due to its small building and narrow road renovations were made. Lansdowne Hospital, presently Ayurveda Hospital at Harven Ji Ka Khurra, Hathi Pol, was the main Hospital of the city with provision of 60 beds. The State possessed 20 Hospitals and the Dispensaries until 1901 CE, 13 were maintained solely by the Maharana, 3 by the Government of India, 2 partly by the Government and private subscription, 1 by the Mission and 1 by the Gosainji Maharaj of Nathdwara. On 8th November 1885 Viceroy of India Lord Dufferin visited Udaipur and the new building of Walter Female Hospital (presently Government Prakartik Hospital, Ghas Ghar) was unveiled by Lady Dufferin. A Lunatic Asylum, outside Brahma Pol, was constructed by Maharana Fateh Singh in 1899 – 1900.
In 1889 CE, Walterkrit Rajputhitkarini Sabha was established for social reforms in Rajput community. Maharana encouraged them to abolished bad practices. He continued Mehdraj Sabha and appointed Shyamji Krishna Verma as a member. The work of land revenue settlement initiated by Maharana Sajjan Singh was completed in the reign of Maharana Fateh Singh. Roads and irrigation works became better and telegraph services were started in the State.
Maharana Fateh Singh became the only Maharana who did not attend the Delhi Durbar twice in 1903 and 1911 CE but he also maintained good relations with the British government. In 1887 CE he received a G.C.S.I General Commander the Star of India title. Maharana Fateh Singh established Mewar Risala, later got converted into Mewar Lancers during the 1st World War between 1914 to 1918.
During the reign of Maharana Fateh Singh, Maharaj Chatur Singhji was an enlighten scholar in addition to being a great poet. He was born on Magh Krishna 14 Vikram Samvat 1936 at Karjali Haveli to Rani Krishna Kunwar and Maharaj Surat Singh of Karjali. Bavji Chatur Singhji received his education at home through tutors Pandit Kripa Shankarji and Pandit Hiralalji Dashora. He was educated in Hindi (Devanagri), Sanskrit, Gujarati, Marathi, Urdu and English languages which helped him to study the ancient Indian scriptures. His creations are a balanced blend of spiritual knowledge and folk behaviour. Alakh Pacchisee, Tuhi Ashtak, Anubhav Prakash, Chatur Prakash, Hanummet panchak, Ambikashtuk, Shesh Charitra, Chatur Chintamani etc. were composed by Maharaj Chatur Singhji.
Maharana constructed Chawadiji ka Mahal, Ganesh Pol, Ghas Ghar, Fateh Prakash, Jas Prakash, Hisab Dafter, Kheech Mandir, Rokdda ka Bhandar, Bhupal Prakash, Bhupal Vilas, Ram Pol, Khasa Rasoda and completed the Shiv Niwas Palace in the Rajmahal. He also completed the construction of Sajjangarh and renovated the Chittorgarh, Kumbhalgarh fort. In 1889, Maharana built the "Connaught Dam" on Lake Dewali and enlarged the lake and it was later renamed as Lake Fateh Sagar. He died on 24th May 1930 CE.
Maharana Fateh Singh Award was instituted in recognition and in commemoration of the principles and values adhered to by him.
Maharana Fateh Singh Award is a city of Udaipur Award.
This Award was instituted to honour those regular students who have passed Secondary and Senior Secondary exams of Central Board of Secondary Education and Board of Secondary Education, Rajasthan from Secondary and Senior Secondary schools located within municipal limits of Udaipur conducted by a recognised body for:
i. Achievements in studies.
ii. Achievements in Games and Sports.
iii. Achievements in cultural, literary and other co-curricular and extra curricular activities.
(Students of Praveshika and Upadhyaya from the Board of Secondary Education, Rajasthan are also eligible for the above awards)
The Annual Award for the city of Udaipur to each candidate consists of:
1. A Commemorative Medal.
2. A Merit Certificate.
3. Cash award of Rs. 11,001